
In the last hours of the winter transfer window, Tottenham Hotspur reportedly agreed to two requirements in order to disqualify Manchester United from competing for the services of gifted attacker Mathys Tel of Bayern Munich.
After Tel turned down a permanent move to north London last week, Spurs’ interest of the French forward appeared to be dead. However, as Ange Postecoglou’s team approaches the 19-year-old’s loan signing, what appeared to be an impossible deal has now been revived.
Florian Plettenberg, a journalist, said Sky Sports News that United had been negotiating a deal for the France Under-21 player until Sunday night, when the talks broke down.
Plettenberg went on to say that Tel has ultimately chosen to join Tottenham because he believed they provided the best opportunity to guarantee him playing time through the end of the current campaign.
Furthermore, Spurs outbid their Premier League opponents for Tel’s services for two key reasons, according to transfer insider Graeme Bailey, who spoke to United in Focus.
One of concerns was that the Red Devils had no interest in paying the £6.5 million borrowing price that the German team requested for a mere four-month loan period.
Nevertheless, considering their current injury issue, Tottenham consented to pay the Bundesliga powerhouses the sum in order to temporarily hire the teenager.

Bailey adds that Spurs were more open to a pure loan agreement, which Bayern and Tel were obviously pleased with considering how highly the Bavarian powerhouses still value the player for the future, but Rubem Amorim’s team insisted on including a buyout option in the loan agreement.
With Dominic Solanke, Brennan Johnson, James Maddison, Timo Werner, and Wilson Odobert still out, it’s a unique deal for Tottenham to accept and essentially captures their current forward line scenario.
If Tel makes a significant impact in north London, his value is very guaranteed to soar, making it extremely difficult for Spurs to sign him permanently in the summer.
After the arrival of Antonin Kinsky and the confirmation on Sunday of Kevin Danso’s transfer from RC Lens to strengthen the defence, Tel is set to become Tottenham’s third January transfer window acquisition.
Plettenberg has also given Postecoglou instructions on how to use the French attacker over the season’s final months.
Plettenberg is certain about his ideal position, but Tel can lay through the middle or out wide.
“This is a very good solution for Tel, Tottenham, and Bayern,” he said on Sky Sports News.
“He has changed his mind about his choice. He was negotiating with Tottenham, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Spurs ultimately presented the greatest concept, in my opinion, in order to gain match practice. For Tel, this is the most crucial.
“Postecoglou now has the responsibility of positioning him appropriately. He is a striker, not a winger. Allow him to attack and score goals!